This Was No Mundane Request for Information

A week ago today, my mother had a severe car accident.  She was rushed to the hospital with some broken bones.  A man had run a red light and was speeding and rammed her vehicle.  He hit her on the front passenger side then spun to the side and hit her again in the rear.  Both airbags in the front deployed, the golden retriever she had in the rear of her Scion XB flew to the front and also benefited from the airbag deployment.  He ended up in my mother’s lap and I firmly believe he was headed through the windshield.  This happened just a little before 9:30 in the morning.

I had walked away from my desk to use the restroom, so naturally left my cell phone behind.  When I returned, I see three missed calls from my mother.  I called her back immediately, but thinking she just needed some mundane, everyday information, like “Has Max eaten breakfast?” or “Can he have cheese?”.  When I called back, I could hear that this was no mundane request for information.  Her voice was panicked and she could not catch her breath, but through the tears that I could hear through the phone, she finally gasped, “I had a really bad accident!”

It took me a minute to digest.  “Do you have Max with you?” I said, also in a panic.

“Yes, but he’s alright,” still gasping for air and hardly audible through her cries.

“Where are you?”

She told me, but I could not hear her over the sirens and her sobs.  So I asked her to repeat it, but every damn time she said where she was, seriously, another siren blared.  Finally, my suspense ended when a man came on the phone.  He told me where they were, although he did have to repeat also since the siren was getting closer and was blaring louder and louder.  They were about two miles from where I worked.  I wanted to speed, I wanted to yell at people to get out of the way, I needed to get to my son.  My mother said he was okay, but I needed to see for myself and hold my baby boy.  My baby boy.  He is so damn precious.  The most sweet loving boy a mommy could ask for.

I finally arrived about a half mile from the scene where I see cop cars swarmed and blocking off all paths to the accident scene itself.  I had to wait in line to get through, as many people in front of me were chit chatting with the cop.  I finally got to the front and I told him, “I need to get up there.  My mom and son are in that accident.”

The cop arrogantly responds, “Well, you will have to pull into the lot to my left and wait until I give you the okay.”

Every part of my body is shaking uncontrollably.  I can’t believe I was just told that I couldn’t go to the scene and all I was thinking is that it is more serious than my mother let on.

“No, that is my son.  He is only three years old and I need to get to him.”

“Oh, he’s your son.”


“Let me call down and let them know.”

After what seemed a lifetime, when it was only about thirty seconds, he finally waved me through.  I was in panic mode.  Scared shitless.  Thinking the worst and hoping for the best.  I could see my mom’s smashed car in a ditch on the corner.  I pulled into a parking lot adjacent to her.  I see EMT’s working on her and by her side.  Policemen going from my mother, to witnesses, to vehicles, to ambulances… The scene was a mess.  It was a horror.  I removed my high heels and slipped on my flip flops quickly so I could run to my son.  I got out of the car and bolted with no regard for anything or anyone.  If anyone talked to me, I did not notice.  I just ran.  That also seemed to take forever.  Like my legs were holding me back and I was slowly sinking in quicksand.

I finally reached them.  All I could see was my mother, sitting up, writhing in pain, sobbing.  I walked around to her other side and I see my baby boy.  She is holding him tight, wrapped in one of the ambulance sheets with bloody gauze on his forehead being held in place by an EMT.  I looked down at him and I wanted to cry so bad.  My mind would not let me.  I cannot scare my kid.  I cannot let him see how scared I am.  He looked up at me and it did not register that the person standing before him was his mother.  There was so much chaos, I am pretty sure he did not expect to see me.  When he finally realized it was me…


He ran to my arms and I knew everything was going to be okay.  The EMT kept stressing that I keep holding the bandage to his head, but that huge cut had stopped bleeding and I just needed to hold and hug my baby.  There were several cuts and scrapes to his head and shoulder, but my baby was just fine.

The ambulance rushed my mom to the hospital and I refused ambulatory service for my son.  I do not know if it was right, but I did it.  The EMTs were not impressed or happy with me for making that decision.  The emergency room docs checked him out, applied some ointment to his wounds and released him.  Then we went in search of Grandma.

When we arrived, she was still in a lot of pain.  Her injuries were not conclusive.  They had taken her to x-ray.  She was awake.  She was talking and she told me what happened.  The cop leading the investigation also heard the story at the same time, as he was following me so he could speak to her.  It looks as if this might be a big investigation.  The man that hit my mom and son was rushed to the same hospital and is still in critical condition.  He was ejected from his vehicle and suffered some serious wounds.

I felt bad for the man…even though he had done harm to my family.  I tried to suppress my anger and feel sympathy instead.  I did, for a couple of days.  When I finally returned to work, I researched the man that hit them.  Since we live in a small town, this accident was top of the news for the area.  It was easy to get his name.  I wanted to put a face to the name and I found his facebook page.  I saw his photo.  I saw photos of his family.  My anger faded.

But my anger quickly surfaced again.  The next page I found on him was his mugshot.  He was arrested in August of 2011 for driving on a suspended/revoked license.  He was also cited for driving without a seat belt and improper use of a lane which came with a $600 fine.  His total fines were $1750.  I wonder why he lost his license in the first place…drunk driving?  Reckless driving?  Excessive speed?  Either way, it’s not a good sign.  He is not getting an ounce of my sympathy.  I am a raging mother protecting my kid.  To hell with that guy.  I don’t wish him death, but I am not wishing him an easy out with this accident.  It is highly likely that his license was still suspended.

This accident is still under investigation and I do not have all of the details.  A lot of my statements above are pure assumption.  All I know, it is his fault that I received a phone call.  It is my son’s car seat that saved his life.  Thank you Evenflo!

About smommy

I am a single mom, by choice. I decided to separate from my husband and an unhappy marriage over three years ago. My son was two at the time. I am pretty much raising my kid on my own with occasional support of my family when I need it. (I don't like to admit I need it, ever!) My soon to be ex-husband (STBX) is an alcoholic and after we separated and he moved back to San Francisco, he became a drug addict also. Life is a struggle, but a sweet one since I have this awesome boy and we love each other sooooo much! Now, if I could magically be divorced, that would be great...but alas, I cannot force him to sign the documents. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but there are moments when it seems so far away and unreachable.
This entry was posted in Childcare, Parenting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s